High above the artificial Eder-Lake in Hessia sits Schloss Waldeck, a castle that dates back to the 12th century. On the terrace are two unusual cannon on display.
By design, they look like Napoleonic-Age front-loading cannon, with reinforced muzzle, reinforcement rings and lifting-rings above the trunnions. But they have a threaded barrel and fittings for breech-loading. The locks are missing.
These pieces were used in the French-German war of 1870/71. Liège (in German Lüttich) is in Belgium, but its foundry was established under Napoleon and supplied the French.