This small building close to the town center goes bz the name of Arsenal. It houses a small museum and is surrounded by the two mortars pictured here and two bronze cannon on the north side.
Johan Frederik Classen was the protagonist in the establishment of the cannon foundry.
A small iron mortar, calibre ca. 10lbs, on a massive iron bed.
Top view of the mortar. The touch hole is unusually small.
These mortars were probably produced and used for testing rather than battle. Frederiksværk was also home to a gunpowder factory, which still exists as a museum.
This is one of three very similar bronze cannon on public display in the town center. They were cast during the reign of Christian VII (1766-1784).
The cannon features a threaded bore, highly unusual for bronze cannon. Also note the flat top with a threaded hole; Apparently for attachment of a sight.
On the rear reinforcement ring sits the foundry’s signature.
The cannon has an unusual horizontal scale engraved in the rear. Probably these were experimental pieces that were used to establish the precision ad capabilities of this model.
Detail view of the cannon muzzle.
This cannon is almost identical to the previous one, but does not have a scale engraved into its rear notch.Instead it features several threaded holes all over its rear part.
Also here, the fairly unusual notch is present. But there is no scale engraved. Possibly this piece was used for other experiments than the other two.
Two of the three cannon have a portrait of Christian VII on them. The third has a stylized C and 7 – probably a variation in case the king did not like his portrait.
All three cannon feature these lifting rings in the shape of an elephant’s head.